I’ve been busy lately. Emotionally i’ve incredibly unavailable and trying to keep my head above the water line. Last week was hell for a number of reasons, of which i wont go into. I’ve been working a lot on some of my bigger blog posts that i’ve been meaning to publish for a few months but as they require adjoining videos it becomes a little more time consuming. With a full time job i don’t have as much available free time to complete them as i’d like — all the while editing my book too. So i’m in the middle of a juggle act really. I am getting there though.
So while i keep working on these big blog posts and youtube videos i have compiled a list for those of your struggling through quarantine.
These are my favourite shows that i’m binge watching right now.
Deadwood, as always.
– A western series with lots of “What the fuck?” “Cocksucker!” And sly little fart comments. Not a secret that this is one of my top favourite television series — one i wish i’d been in! Deadwood is incredible. Its like Shakespeare but with fuck & cunt being thrown around like boiled sweets. Its beautifully filmed, a slow burning western and just all around a phenomenal show. Joanie Stubbs is a perfect representation of who i am when i’m depressed, and Calamity Jane Canary is me the rest of the time. Dead drunk on a mouthful of words and farting during the breaks. Give it a go. I believe it’s on HBO. They also just came out with a movie after a decade of all of us waiting and i wept like a child.
– A nautical horror series. This is fantastic and one of the best things about my halloween month. I love watching this. Its got boats, spook and phenomenal cinematics. AND HISTORY. I particularly enjoy this as its very historically accurate but also embodies the sailors & Inuit superstitions. Something i’m very interested in and grew up reading about. Fave subject as it goes. Great show. Truly. For those horror fans out there — this is it. More a psychological thriller but it does the trick pretty good.
Hap & Leonard
– What can i say about Hap & Leonard? The books are incredible and remind me of my life in Huntsville, TX. Jack always managed to get us into some really fucked up shit that was always worth writing about. And this is what this show is like. Joe Lansdale, the author, is a god among us, and one i’d happily pray for. This show amaaaaazing. The characters are so well written and the shit they get into is nuts. And again, it proves that living in Texas is just one hell of a wild and dangerous ride worth living with your best friend. Watch it. It was unfortunarely cut short because it was amazing and we’re not allowed nice things. Thanks poor logic uppity ups. Still — the three seasons we did get are gold.
– A quiet, nordic feel crime show set on the Shetland. I love it. Great cinematography, characterisation and plot lines. I really enjoy having this on – its comforting to me. I never lived in Scotland but it was where i’d probably have run to if i hadn’t got on a plane to tropical Texas. It has a great nordic influence just as the island itself does. Making it a great relatable mix.
– I am Doc Martin. Not as intelligent when it comes to doctoring but he is literally me. Watch this and then you know exactly how i am in real life. I enjoy watching this because i grew up in a little English town just like Portwenn, with the same kind of folks and the sea just outside my window and a school almost identical. With exactly the same uniforms. Sometimes i actually can’t watch this because it makes me homesick and gives me a nostalgic feeling i despise. I hate looking back even at good memories, but this show is wonderful. Think this is one Acorn TV. I only recently found out i hadn’t watched this finished.. i thought it stopped at season 6 or 7 … but theres more!
Are you being served?
– Jack introduced me to this show, i think i’d seen a clip or two when i was really young but i didn’t fall in love with it until i met Jack. Now i force him to watch it. Always. We just finished watching it as our night show before bed. It’s a live theatre performance with a real audience. The characters are epic and its incredibly funny. Just. Go watch it for yourself. Its on Britbox. Its almost on par with Mr.Bean but not as genius.
Death in Paradise
– Also on Britbox, its just an easy & cute show about caribbean murders; but with an English police chief. Its your typical soft core Poirot or Agatha Christy type stuff. A little predictable but nice to have on and doesn’t require much brainpower.
– Good old 80’s tv show. It’s got the great music, the 80’s hotties and a bunch of crime. I love it. It’s like playing Grand Theft Auto – Vice City on the pc all over again. I’d also like to be in a sandwich with Sonny & Tubs, but we all do. It was one of those shows you don’t want to end with characters you feel like you’ve lived with so long you can’t fathom saying goodbye. Awesome visuals and makes ya wanna move to Miami — if you ignore the crime. Of course.
Cold Case Files
– This is just a really well done crime show narrated by Danny Glover, on Netflix. Its really well filmed and thats part of why i like to watch it. I also like it because this is what we all lived on in Denmark during my Christmas holiday. My brother, Jack, mum and i all sat watching this for days without leaving the house. It was so cozy. Nothing like family bonding over a good cold case about rape, murder and missing children. Doesn’t paint us in a good light, but seriously — very well done crime series.
Writing this list has really shown me how much i enjoy crime shows and westerns…. i like Hell on Wheels too but it doesn’t compare at all with Deadwood for me. I can watch Deadwood over and over but Hell of Wheels didn’t grip me in the same way which is why it didn’t make the list. What tv shows are you binging right now? Got any suggestions for me?